Sr./Scientist, Rare Diseases
Reporting to the Director for Research, the Senior Scientist will assist in developing the preclinical data package to support advancement of Moderna s mRNA technology platform and pipeline. The successful candidate will drive the preclinical in vitro and in vivo pharmacology effort to validate the potential of novel mRNA therapeutics in the Rare Diseases therapeutic area. The successful candidate will lead the biochemistry and cell biology efforts, design and execute experiments, supervise laboratory personnel, present results internally and externally and manage collaborations and CROs. Applicants should be outstanding team members and have extensive experience in project management. The ability to effectively communicate across internal multi-disciplinary teams and with external partners is required. The candidate will need to manage multiple project in a fast-move and results-oriented environment.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL DO:
* Manage multiple projects of moderate to large size and scope involving cross-functional collaboration within Discovery and across departments. Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
* Collaborate with a team of biologists to develop, optimize, validate and execute biochemical and/or cellular assays to support drug discovery projects, including assay development, and running of assays for mRNA research
* Provide expert level guidance in designing and implementing cell biology, biochemistry and biomarker related studies for rare diseases
* Ability to manage and supervise junior scientists to meet project timelines and teach direct reports assay and trouble shooting skills
* Develop and manage relationship with collaborators. Have good communication skills, especially be capable of communicating effectively to discuss project progress, interpret and present data
* Lead external collaborations. Act as a scientific resource providing guidance and mentorship to colleagues.
HERE S WHAT YOU LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* A Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or Immunology with 7 years drug discovery experience at pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO
* Solid background and training in his or her own fields of studies and in conducting research using the latest drug discovery technologies and advances in science
* Candidate will be CURIOUS in exploring new path for drug discovery, BOLD in proposing CREATIVE experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be RELENTLESS in pursuing successful outcomes
* Preference will be given to candidate with managerial capabilities and good knowledge and experience in enzymology and track record of making contributions to advance projects from concept to proof-of concept in-vivo onto clinical candidate
HERE S WHAT WE LL BRING TO THE TABLE:
* Daily on-site catered lunches.
* Company-provided iPhone.
* Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
* Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
* Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
* 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
* A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
* Voluntary legal assistance plan
* 15 days vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
* Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
WHY JOIN MODERNA THERAPEUTICS
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry s leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Moderna is pioneering messenger RNA therapeutics™, an entirely new in vivo drug modality that produces human proteins or antibodies inside patient cells, which are in turn active intracellularly or secreted. This breakthrough platform addresses currently undruggable targets, and offers a superior alternative to existing drug modalities for a wide range of disease conditions.