Associate Scientist, Fermentation Laboratory Operations
We are seeking an Associate Scientist to execute the development, operationalization and expansion our single use fermentation experimental platform. He/she will participate in continuous improvement efforts and routine operations and maintenance of the associated equipment. They will seek to make the highest and best use of company resources to deliver on promises made. This position collaborates with the Biology, Fermentation, Analytics and Scientific Computing departments in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. The ideal candidate embraces a culture that ensures the safety of staff, community and environment.
* Collaborate on experimental design and data analysis.
* Set up and operate bench-scale and micro-scale bioreactors and associated software.
* Carry out microbial fermentations using various strains, feedstocks, and protocols.
* Sample bioreactors and prepare samples for further analysis.
* Conduct root cause analysis to correct and prevent laboratory execution errors.
* Evaluate and maintain fermentation data in the databases.
* Lead efforts to improve data quality and operational efficiency.
* Apply organizational and creative skills to improve lab operations.
* Maintain safe practices and work environment.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Biology, life sciences, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or related field and 5 years of work experience, or Master’s Degree and 3 years of work experience in a Research Operations setting.
* Proficient in statistics, tools to analyze data (Excel, Minitab, R, Spotfire) and manufacturing principles such as 5S and Lean. Familiarity with SQL is a strong plus.
* Lean Six Sigma certification is desirable.
* Strong communication skills including presenting results and research, preparing technical reports and writing SOPs.
* Capability to manage multiple independent processes and experiments within a single day including scheduling instrumentation and preparing reagents and material.
* Experience acting as leader, team player and collaborator both within and across functional boundaries.
* Tenacity in pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
* Weekend work and occasional overtime is required.
* Embrace Amyris Core Values.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website .
Website : http://www.amyrisbiotech.com