We are IFF. We are the catalyst for discoveries that spark the senses and transform the everyday. International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world. At the heart of our company, we are fueled by a sense of discovery, constantly asking what if? That passion for exploration drives us to co-create unique scents and tastes in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages.
Our 7,300 team members globally take advantage of leading consumer insights, research and development, creative expertise, and customer intimacy to develop differentiated products.
Dreamers and doers, we work tirelessly to discover flavors and fragrances that inspire customers and delight consumers. We are fueled by our four corporate values of passion, creativity, expertise and empowerment. It is the unique blend of these values that make us IFF. These qualities can be seen and felt throughout our amazing 129 year history and will continue to guide us as we explore our limitless possibilities and develop new-to-world solutions that enhance the lives of millions around the globe.
Please view our careers video at IFF Career Video- Great things are happening here
The History of IFF: The History of IFF
Follow us on social media: LinkedIn Facebook
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic candidate with demonstrated expertise in fermentation science to develop innovative and unique natural flavor ingredients.
The incumbent will play a key role in the Flavor R&D team in Union Beach, NJ, whose focus areas are fermentation, biotransformation, microbial screening, culture management, and collaborations with academic/industrial institutions. He/she will be a thought leader and subject matter expert, and actively engages in research projects that are aligned with business opportunities and corporate strategies.
Overall functions include the development of unique flavoring- and taste modulating tools through microbial fermentation and biotransformation, and working closely with Flavorists and Application Food Technologists to transform the unique tools to winning flavors. This is also an exciting opportunity for someone who is seeking to utilize his/her expertise in fermentation science to lead external collaborative projects with academic/industrial institutions.
* Conduct bench-scale microbial fermentation and biotransformation campaigns for developing proprietary, cost-effective, and globally natural flavor- and taste modulation ingredients
* Screen strains, improve strain performance, and optimize fermentation conditions
* Develop scalable inoculum for scale-up processes
* Maintain and manage culture collections
* Collaborate with external partners for developing cost-effective fermentation processes
* Liaise with cross-functional teams pertaining to flavor evaluation, analytical characterization, regulatory review, and process optimization.
* Ph.D. in Microbiology, Fermentation Science, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biochemical Engineering, or related fields.
* A minimum of three years of experience in fermentation research and process development in industry or academia.
* Demonstrated proficiency and expertise in fermentation processes, microbial techniques, strain improvement, and culture management.
* Hands-on experience with bench-scale fermenter and control software
* Experience with submerged mycelium cultivation and solid-state fermentation a plus
* Experience with pilot-scale or commercial fermentation operation a plus
* Knowledge of food enzymology and enzymatic assays
* Strong interpersonal skills and successful experience working in a collaborative team